BloodCenter of Wisconsin provides a vast array of transfusion-related medical services for our community hospitals. Through the Medical Sciences Institute (MSI), our physician group is involved in direct patient care through consultations, management of patients requiring therapeutic apheresis, medical direction of specialized diagnostic laboratories and the management of donors with complications of blood donation or positive infectious disease testing markers.
The MSI is dedicated to three areas: patient care, clinical research and the education of physicians, all focused on solving patient problems.
- Transfusion Service Medical Direction which oversees transfusion medicine at major hospitals throughout BloodCenter’s service area.
- Therapeutic Apheresis and Special Products which includes apheresis procedures to treat a variety of diseases, stem cell collections and coordination of specific blood donations for patients with unique transfusion needs (HLA platelet transfusions).
- Comprehensive Center for Bleeding Disorders (CCBD) which provides lifelong comprehensive care to support patients with bleeding disorders and consultative service for community physicians throughout Wisconsin.
- Adult (non-malignant) hematology program which resides within Froedtert Hospital and Clinics as part of the Division of Hematology/Oncology to bring expert care to patients with anemia, platelet and white cell disorders, bleeding and clotting disorders.
- Adult sickle cell disease patients are cared for in the Sickle Cell Disease Clinic at Froedtert Hospital and Clinics. Pediatric patients with sickle cell disease are also cared for in a comprehensive program in collaboration with Children’s Hospital of Wisconsin.
- Mentoring and training of new physicians at area hospitals
- Authoring of book chapters
- Presentations at various national meetings.
- Transfusion Medicine Fellowship program offered through BloodCenter of Wiscsonsin.
The physicians who provide patient care and education also lead clinical and translational research efforts at BloodCenter. Find out more information about clinical research at BCW. Thomas Abshire, MD, Senior Vice President-Medical Sciences Institute and Chief Medical Officer